(ASHLAND, Va.) - The first day of the R-MC Tip-Off Tournament capped off with a future ODAC rivalry game as Randolph-Macon hosted Averett. The Yellow Jackets opened up with a big lead in the first half and was able to stave off a furious rally by the Cougars to remain unbeaten on the season.
Score: Randolph-Macon 65, Averett 49
Venue: Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-0, Averett 0-5
How It Happened
- Becca Anthony (Sr., Amelia, Va. / Amelia) ignited a fast start as she opened the game with a pair of 3-pointers and was followed up by a Devan Conrad (Jr., Parkville, Md. / St. Paul's School for Girls) layup to give the Yellow Jackets an 8-0 lead. It forced Averett to call its first timeout just 90 seconds into the game.
- Another Anthony triple put the RMC up 20 early in the second quarter. It started an 11-0 run capped by a Paige Anderson (Fr., Sterling, Va. / Potomac Falls) layup to start the frame and give the Jackets their largest lead of the game at 38-11. The Lemon and Black eventually went into the halftime break up 42-18.
- The third quarter saw some resurgence by the Cougars and the momentum carried into the fourth. The visitors were able to cut the deficit down to 11 after a Genesis Weiters layup put the score at 51-38 with 7:58 to go.
- It was the closest the Cougars could get as Anthony responded with layup on the next possession. The Yellow Jackets eventually pushed the lead back out to 17 before settling with the final score.
Inside The Numbers
- Anthony finished with a game-high 21 points. She hit 6-for-9 overall and was 3-for-5 behind the arc. She was nearly perfect from the free throw line as well as she made 6-of-7.
- Catherine Kagey (So., Roanoke, Va. / Faith Christian) also hit double figures for a second consecutive game with 10 points.
- Aimee DeBell (Sr., Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) didn't shoot too much, but she made up for it in other ways as she hit double figures in rebounds the first time this season with 12 boards. She gave the Cougars offense problems throughout the night with four steals and two blocked shots.
- DeBell also showed her ability to distribute the ball as she tallied three assists to join Kagey and Cheridan Hatfield (Sr., Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) for team-high honors.
- Rebounds proved pivotal for the Yellow Jackets as they controlled the boards by a 54-38 margin. They nearly matched Averett's 24 defensive rebounds with 23 offensive boards which translated to 16 second-chance points compared to four for the Cougars.
- Both teams each had 22 turnovers, but RMC did more with its free possessions and outscored the Cougars 27-14 off miscues.
For the Cougars
- Camryn Lunsford led the Cougars with 18 points. Weiters added 16.
For The Record
- The Yellow Jackets have now won 13 consecutive regular season contests dating back to February 4, 2020.
The Yellow Jackets will play No. 20 Christopher Newport in the R-MC Tip-Off Tournament Championship at 3 p.m. The Captains were a 94-31 winner over Lebanon Valley in the early game. The Flying Dutchmen will open tomorrow's slate with a contest at 1.