(ASHLAND, Va.) – The Randolph-Macon women's basketball team's regular season win streak came to an end in the R-MC Tip-Off Tournament Championship at the hands of No. 20 Christopher Newport on Saturday afternoon. The Yellow Jackets stayed with the high octane Captains for most of the first half behind strong play by Aimee DeBell (Sr., Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude), but the visitors used a late run in the second half to take control of the game.
Scores: Randolph-Macon 60, No. 20 Christopher Newport 95
Venue: Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-1; No. 20 Christopher Newport 6-0
How It Happened
- The first quarter was a highlight reel for DeBell as she powered the Yellow Jackets offense early. She had four of the Jackets' first five buckets with the last of those giving them a 10-9 lead midway through the frame.
- The Captains answered on their next possession with a 3-pointer from Sondra Fan to regain the lead. They eventually went up by five before Peyton Humphreys (Sr., Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) closed out the quarter with a buzzer-beating layup.
- A pair of Devan Conrad (Jr., Parkville, Md. / St. Paul's School For Girls) free throws followed by Paige Anderson (Fr., Sterling, Va. / Potomac Falls) layup brought the Lemon and Black back within striking distance early in the second quarter, but a 14-1 run by CNU changed the pace of the game. Anderson's bucket with 7:14 to go in the second was also the last Jackets field goal until Allison Burdette (Fr., Martinsburg, W.Va. / Martinsburg) drained a 3-pointer on an assist from Cheridan Hatfield (Sr., Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) with 32 seconds left.
- The third quarter was a good one offensively for the Jackets as they shot 8-for-13 from the field, but it was an even better one for CNU as the visitors went 8-for-12 and a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line to go up 20 en route to the win.
Inside The Numbers
- DeBell had one of the best games ever as she finished with a career-best 21 points and hit 10-for-12 overall from the field. She was a perfect 6-for-6 for 12 points in the first quarter alone and followed up with eight more in the third.
- Rebounds were fairly even as the Jackets were edged out 31-30 on the glass. DeBell also led the team with seven rebounds.
- Juliana Park (Fr., Fairfax Station, Va. / Davidson Day) added nine points for RMC. They all came from behind the arc where she was 3-for-4 on the day.
For The Captains
- Anaya Simmons led the team with 20 points and was 9-for-11 from the field. Fan added 18, and three others joined them in double figures.
- A bunch of the CNU offense this season has been generated from turnovers and today was no different as 33 of the Captains' points came on Yellow Jackets miscues.
For The Record
- This was the first regular season defeat for the Jackets since February 1, 2020, when they fell 72-67 to Emory & Henry. Since then they reeled off 13 consecutive wins.
- Averett - Camryn Lunsford
- Lebanon Valley - Kennedy Kuffa
- Randolph-Macon - Catherine Kagey
- Christopher Newport - Sondra Fan
- Randolph-Macon - Aimee DeBell
- Christopher Newport - Anaya Simmons (Most Outstanding Player)
Randolph-Macon is off until after Thanksgiving when they will make the short trek up I-95 to take on Mary Washington on Monday, Nov. 29. Tip-off with the Eagles is set for 6 p.m.