Posted: Feb 22, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – Sophomores Taylor Mittelstadter (Chesterfield, Va./Manchester) and Rianna Lowery (Bel Air, Md./Notre Dame Prep) both tallied three goals as the R-MC women's lacrosse team fell 18-8 to Mary Washington on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Shenandoah 18, Randolph-Macon 8
Venue: Day Field
Records: RMC 1-1, UMW 2-0
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets grabbed a quick lead. Lowery scored the game's first goal on an assist by freshman Lilly Fowler (Phoenix, Md./Notre Dame Prep) and junior Annie Bartley (Richmond, Va./Mills Godwin) added a score on a pass from senior Logan Schweiger (Church Hill, Md./Queen Anne's County) in taking a 2-0 edge less than four minutes into the contest. The Eagles tallied the next five goals to take a 5-2 lead after one quarter.
- Fowler fed Lowery for the first goal of the second period and freshman Elaina Creekmore (Pasadena, Md./Old Mill) added a score as RMC pulled within one at 5-4 less than four minutes into the second quarter. UMW scored five straight to lead 10-4 at intermission.
- The Yellow Jackets would outscore the Eagles 4-3 in the third quarter, as Mittelstadter tallied three, including a free position shot, and Lowery scored on her own free position shot as RMC trailed 13-8 heading to the fourth period.
- UMW scored five times in the final quarter to claim an 18-8 victory.
By The Numbers
- Mittelstadter and Lowery were the only Yellow Jackets to record multiple goals.
- Fowler led RMC with two assists.
- RMC and UMW both had 15 draw controls. Mittlestadter and freshman Emma Moxham (Street, Md./Garrison Forest) paced the Yellow Jackets with five each.
- Five Yellow Jackets had two ground balls: Schweiger, Bartley, Moxham, senior Italia Carnazza (Fairfax, Va./Paul VI) and junior Abi Detrich (Federalsburg, Md./Easton).
- Detrich had a pair of caused turnovers.
- Junior Emma Taylor (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) registered eight saves.
- RMC will host McDaniel on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 1 pm on Day Field.