Posted: Mar 18, 2023
ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Annie Bartley (Richmond, Va./Mills Godwin) and sophomore Taylor Mittelstadter (Chesterfield, Va./Manchester) both recorded four goals as the R-MC women's lacrosse team posted a 14-10 victory at Meredith on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 14, Meredith 10
Venue: Meredith Field
Records: RMC 4-4, MC 4-3
How It Happened
- Sophomore Rianna Lowery (Bel Air, Md./Notre Dame Prep) had the game's first goal before the Avenging Angels netted the next two for a 2-1 lead. Freshman Lilly Fowler (Phoenix, Md./Notre Dame Prep) finished a free position shot with 4:14 left in the first period to knot the score at 2-2. After an MC goal, Bartley scored with less than two minutes remaining as the score stood 3-3 after one quarter.
- Mittelstadter, sophomore Amanda Maxwell (Baltimore, Md./Loch Raven) and Bartley all tallied goals as the Yellow Jackets led 6-3 midway through the second period. The Angels had the final goal of the quarter as RMC led 6-4 at intermission.
- MC scored less than a minute into the third quarter to pull within one at 6-5. The Yellow Jackets had the final four goals of the period as Bartley scored twice, freshman Elaina Creekmore (Pasadena, Md./Old Mill) got a goal with 51 seconds left and Mittelstadter beat the horn with one second left as RMC took a 10-5 lead to the fourth.
- Mittelstadter had the first goal of the final period to make it 11-5 before two Angel goals cut it to 11-7. Fowler scored on a free position shot with 9:11 remaining as the lead grew to 12-7. Mittelstadter answered an MC goal as the visitors led 13-8 midway through the fourth. The Angels got the next two goals before Lowery ended the scoring with two minutes left to make the final 14-10.
By The Numbers
- Bartley and Mittelstadter both had four goals, while Lowery had two goals and one assist. Fowler also scored twice.
- Lowery passed the century mark for career points. The sophomore has 70 goals and 31 assists for 101 points.
- The Yellow Jackets went 3 for 4 on free position shots, while the Angels were 1 for 5.
- RMC had a 14-12 advantage in draw controls. Freshman Emma Moxham (Street, Md./Garrison Forest) led the victors with eight draw controls. Senior Italia Carnazza (Fairfax, Va./Paul VI) had a pair of draw controls.
- Carnazza and junior Emma Taylor (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown) both grabbed four ground balls, while junior Abi Detrich (Federalsburg, Md./Easton) picked up two.
- Taylor recorded nine saves, with at least two in each quarter.
- RMC will travel to Guilford on Saturday, March 25 for a 2 p.m. contest to open ODAC play.