Posted: Sep 21, 2022
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Randolph-Macon women's soccer came up short to No. 1 Christopher Newport Wednesday night, falling 1-0 on the road at CNU Soccer Stadium. The tilt was knotted up at 0-0 through the first 45 minutes, but the Captains found a goal off of a set piece in the 74th minute to break the tie.
Score: No. 1 Christopher Newport 1, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Newport News, Va./CNU Soccer Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-2-1, Christopher Newport 7-0-1
How it Happened:
- Neither team was able to find the back of the net after in the first 45 minutes, but there were 20 combined shots between the two teams in the half.
- Christopher Newport broke through in the 74th minute via a Kyleigh Gough header from a set piece.
- Randolph-Macon had two good looks in the final 10 minutes, but the Yellow Jackets were unable to find the equalizer down the stretch.
By The Numbers:
- Abby Cook (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) finished the contest with 10 saves for Randolph-Macon as she played all 90 minutes as the Yellow Jacket netminder.
- Leah Conrad (Bristow, Va./Saint John Paul The Great) recorded two shots on goal for the visitors, as Randolph-Macon ended the night with four total SOGs.
- Christopher Newport recorded 31 shots across the 90 minutes, 11 of those ending up on frame.
- The fixture stood as the third time in four matches that Randolph-Macon clashed with a top-25 team, two of those being top-5 opponents in No. 5 Johns Hopkins and No. 1 Christopher Newport.
- Randolph-Macon will see the final leg of a four-game road trip as it heads to Greensboro to take on the Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Guilford to open ODAC play Saturday, September 24. The match is set for a 2:00 p.m. start at the Armfield Athletic Center.